- Do not bite, kick or hit, except in self-defence.
- Do not torture and bully other children, so you don’t end up in jail.
- Eat in a civilized and thankful manner, so that people are happy to have you at their house, and pleased to feed you.
- Learn to share, so other kids will play with you.
- Pay attention when spoken to by adults, so they don’t hate you and might therefore deign to teach you something.
- Go to sleep properly, and peaceably, so that your parents can have a private life and not resent your existence.
- Take care of your belongings, because you need to learn how and because you’re lucky to have them.
- Be good company when something fun is happening, so that you’re invited for the fun.
- Act so that other people are happy you’re around, so that people will want you around.
A child who knows these rules will be welcome everywhere.
12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos
If you’ve stopped to read this, why not help some children this Christmas?